I eat this salad as often as I possibly can during tomato-harvesting days. It’s so simple to bring together and it’s the best way to showcase the complex heirloom tomato flavor, letting it simply shine. Dress the salad and let it sit at room temperature for at least 30 minutes before serving to let the flavors really meld.
• 3-4 heirloom slicing tomatoes (different varieties and colors)
• Half a red onion, minced
• Handful of fresh basil, minced
• Red wine vinegar
• Extra virgin olive oil
• Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
1. Slice the tomatoes and arrange in rows around a platter, slightly overlapping each other.
2. Evenly sprinkle on the onions and basil over the tomatoes.
3. Splash some red wine vinegar over the salad, followed by a steady, but slow pour of olive oil over the top. Finish with a good amount of sea salt and freshly ground pepper — don’t be shy!