Tomatoes are so juicy and wonderful inside a sandwich, what about reversing that magic and putting them outside the sandwich? This recipe does just that. Topped with grilled onions and the sandwich goes to off-the-hook flavor levels. I find these are absolutely charming as smaller “sliders.” Use small tomatoes and small burgers for a big reaction from your friends and family.
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 large egg, whisked
- 1 large zucchini, grated
- 1 tablespoon minced shallots
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
Toppings and wrap:
- Tomatoes cut in half to use as a bun
- Whole leaves of lettuce
- Grilled onions
- Heat your grill or griddle to medium.
- In a large bowl, combine all the burger ingredients; mix well and form into equal sized patties.
- Grill burgers to medium or desired doneness.
- Serve with tomato bun and toppers.
More from Stacked with Flavor:
- Kick-in-the-Pants Red Chili Oil Recipe
- Spaghetti Squash Latkes Recipe
- Whole Butternut Squash in a Slow Cooker Recipe
Excerpted with permission from Stacked with Flavor by Shawna Coronado (Ogden Publications, 2019).