String beans were one of the most intensively grown crops in the kitchen gardens. Both green and yellow varieties were grown, with the yellow being the only type used for Katerbohen — Pickled Dill Beans. However, they were also used for fresh eating. Here both colors are steamed tender and served with a simple but tasty herbed tomato sauce.
• 3/4 pound green beans
• 3/4 pound yellow beans
• 2 tablespoons minced green bell pepper
• 2 tablespoons minced celery
• 1/4 cup minced onion
• 1/4 cup Canola oil
• 2 pounds tomatoes seeded and chopped
• 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
• 2 cloves garlic, pressed
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
• 1 teaspoon dry marjoram
1. Steam beans until tender.
2. Saute pepper, celery, onion in oil for 5 minutes. Add tomatoes, vinegar, garlic, salt, black pepper, and marjoram. Simmer another 10 minutes.
3. Pour over beans.