Golden squash, bright yellow in color, is a sweet member of the summer squash family (think yellow squash, zucchini, and a host of others), so feel free to swap in any of them, especially in the height of summer when they’re taking over the garden. While this is great right out of the oven, it also makes a terrific picnic dish.
• 3 tablespoons olive oil
• 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
• 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
• 2 golden squash, yellow squash, or zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch-thick rounds
• 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch squares
• 3/4 teaspoon coarse (kosher) salt
• 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
• 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
• 1 pound tomatoes, cored and thickly sliced
• 1/2 cup Panko bread crumbs
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook for 7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onion is tender.
3. Add the squash and bell pepper, sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon of the salt, and cook for 7 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the squash is tender. Stir in the basil and 2 tablespoons of the Parmesan.
4. Spoon the mixture into a 9x9-inch baking dish. Top with the tomato slices and sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Scatter the Panko and the remaining 1/2 cup Parmesan over the top and drizzle with the remaining 1 tablespoon oil.
5. Bake for 20 minutes, or until the topping is crisp and the vegetables are piping hot. Serve hot or at room temperature.