Ribbons of shiso add a basil-cinnamon-clove accent to the ginger, miso, and sesame flavors in this refreshing shiso salad.
• 1 medium-to-large tomato
• 1 Japanese cucumber, unpeeled
• 2 green bell peppers, cored and seeded
• 2 large carrots, julienned
• 1 tablespoon miso
• 1 tablespoon lemon juice
• 2 tablespoons sesame oil
• 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
• 2 to 4 ounces tofu
• 6 to 8 shiso leaves, cut into thin strips
1. Chop the tomato, cucumber, and peppers into 1⁄4-inch cubes and add to a medium-sized serving bowl.
2. Add julienned carrots to other vegetables, and toss.
3. To make the miso dressing, whisk miso, lemon juice, sesame oil, and ginger in a small bowl or whiz in a blender.
4. Divide salad evenly into four salad bowls.
5. Drizzle with the miso dressing, then top with a few cubes of tofu and strips of shiso. Serve the shiso salad immediately.
Try cooking with shiso in more recipes: