You can serve this soup with a small pitcher of heavy cream at the table, to be used as each guest desires.
• 2 pounds (750 grams) ripe tomatoes, quartered, with skin left on
• 1 large onion, finely chopped
• 1 medium potato, chopped
• 1-1/2 tablespoons olive oil
• 1/2 pint (275 mL) vegetable stock
• 1 or 2 cloves garlic, crushed
• 2-3 teaspoons chopped fresh basil
• salt and pepper
1. Gently heat olive oil in a thick-based pan, and cook onion and potato until softened but not brown (10-15 minutes).
2. Stir in tomatoes and cook for about a minute, then add stock, seasoning, and garlic. Cover and simmer for 25 minutes.
3. Pass soup through sieve to get rid of skin and pips (seeds). Check seasoning and add basil. (If you can’t get fresh basil, dried is fine, but add it with tomatoes).