Beets are a versatile vegetable. When roasted, the beet takes on a whole new character. I like to use golden beets because the tendency to bleed is minimal. Roasting these in the oven at a low temperature creates a sugar concentration inside the meat. You will see the sugar bleeding a little through the skin.
• 4 medium golden beets
• 1/2 teaspoon sea salt (optional)
• 2 tablespoons of EVOO
• Artisan pepper mill
• 1 tablespoon white balsamic vinegar
• 1 teaspoon of lemon zest
• 4 cups baby arugula
• 4 Easter egg radishes
• 2 tablespoons crushed pistachios
• 1/2 pound of goat cheese
1. Rinse beets well. Pull leaves off and save for garnish
2. Rub beets down with olive oil and sea salt. Bake in oven at 325 degrees Fahrenheit for 1 hour or until fork tender.
3. While beets are still warm peel skin off with gloved hands. Slice into quarters
4. Roll goat cheese in pistachios and slice and chill in cooler
5.Toss a little of the dressing with the beets to coat. Toss rest of salad and radishes with dressing. Place on center of the plate and arrange the goat cheese.
Read more about Chef Quintin Eason and his take on provisional gardening in the article Aromas of Spring.