This recipe is from Dr. George Washington Carver’s How to Grow the Peanut and 105 Ways of Preparing it for Human Consumption.
- 3-1/4 cups sugar
- 1 cup cream
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped peanuts
- 1/2 cup each of figs, dates, and candied pineapple
- Boil sugar and cream until it reaches the soft-ball stage (about 235 degrees Fahrenheit).
- Pour out on a large platter, and let cool.
- Work with a wooden spoon until creamy.
- Add the nuts and fruit; work until mass begins to stiffen.
- Make into a long roll, and wrap in a moist towel.
- In an hour or more, it can be sliced and the slices wrapped in oily paper.
Find more peanut recipes and learn how to grow heirloom peanuts in your backyard in the article Old-Fashioned Peanuts for Every Climate.