Here, sorrel is a perfect local substitute for lemon juice. Yield: 4 to 6 servings as a side dish.
• 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion, or to taste
• 3/4 cup medium-coarse bulgur (cracked wheat)
• 1 large tomato, seeded and diced
• 1 medium cucumber, unpeeled, seeded, and diced
• 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
• 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint leaves
• 1/4 cup chopped sorrel
• 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
• Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
1. To tame the raw, chopped onion, soak it in cold water for 30 minutes, then rinse and drain.
2. Meanwhile, pour about 2 cups boiling water over the bulgur and let it stand until it softens, about 15 minutes.
3. Drain water that has not been absorbed.
4. Stir together the onions, tomato, cucumber, herbs, and bulgur.
5. Toss with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
6. Chill before serving.
Learn more about sorrel in How to Use Sorrel.