Photo by Pixabay/Peggy Choucair
Use these Italian Eggplant Balls instead of traditional meatballs to top your spaghetti or fill a submarine roll.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour for the eggplant, 30 minutes for the eggplant balls
Total Time: 1 hour 40 minutes
- 1 large eggplant
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons mashed roasted garlic (see recipe), or substitute 2 cloves fresh garlic very finely chopped
- 1 cup finely crushed cracker crumbs (gluten free: substitute gluten free breadcrumbs or cracker crumbs)
- 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with foil or parchment. Pierce the eggplant a couple of times with a fork. Place it on the baking sheet and then into the oven.
- Bake for 45 minutes, then let the eggplant cool until it is cool enough to handle.
- Cut the top (stem) off the eggplant, then remove the peel by pulling down strips from the top to the bottom.
- Place the eggplant, garlic, and oil in a food processor. Pulse a few times, scrape down the sides with a spatula, then pulse again until it forms a thick, slightly chunky mixture.
- Add the eggplant mixture to a mixing bowl, and then add the rest of the ingredients. Mix thoroughly.
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Form the eggplant mixture into balls and bake for 30 minutes.
More from I Hate Vegetables Cookbook:
- Baby Portobello Mushrooms with Mornay Sauce Recipe
- Delicata Squash Risotto Recipe
- Brown Butter Lemon Roasted Brussels Sprouts Recipe
Cover courtesy of Fortunella Press
Excerpted with permission from I Hate Vegetables Cookbook: Fresh and Easy Vegetable Recipes That Will Change Your Mind by Katie Moseman and published by Fortunella Press. Follow Katie Moseman on Facebook @recipeforperfection, Twitter: @recipeforperfec, Instagram: @recipeforperfection, and Pinterest: @recipeforperfec