Boiled peanuts take a while to cook, so tackle this recipe when you plan on being home for a few hours.
- 2 pounds in-shell peanuts
- 3 ounces salt
- 3 gallons water
- Wash the peanuts in cold water until the water runs clear.
- Soak for 30 minutes, strain, and add to a large stockpot with salt and water.
- Cover and cook on high for 4 hours, adding more water if necessary. You can also add the ingredients to a slow cooker and cook on low for 22 to 24 hours.
- Drain, and store in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
Oven-Roasted Peanuts Recipe
To roast peanuts, preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Place raw peanuts — in the shell or not — one layer deep on a cookie sheet or baking pan. Sprinkle with salt (optional) and then roast for 20 to 25 minutes. Unshelled peanuts will take longer to roast than shelled peanuts. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
Find more peanut recipes and learn how to grow heirloom peanuts in the article Old-Fashioned Peanuts for Every Climate.