With all the freedom you’ll have choosing apples and flavors for your sauce, this recipe will give you the kind of treat that you just can’t buy in stores!
• about 4 pounds of apples (8-12 apples)
• 1/2 cup liquid of choice
• sugar, honey, or favorite sweetener, 1/4 cup to every 4 medium apples. (Leave sweetener out if you prefer an unsweetened sauce. Really sweet apples don’t require any additional sweetener.)
• cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, or apple pie spice to taste (optional)
1. Wash, core and slice apples. Peel if desired. Place apples in a saucepan with water, cover and simmer until tender.
2. Apples can be put through a blender or mashed with a potato masher.
3. Add sweetener and spices to taste.
4. This sauce can be canned by following current canning recommendations for applesauce.
For more about heirloom apples, or for more delicious recipes, see: Apple Varieties for Every Occasion.