In The Vermont Non-GMO Cookbook (Skyhorse Publishing, 2017) by Tracey Medeiros, celebrates the organic and non-GMO ingredients that can be found in the Vermont region. There are recipes varying from appetizers to baked goods and everything in between.
- 1 pint multi-colored heirloom cherry tomatoes
- 2 bunches broccoli rabe, thick ends trimmed
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, or as needed, divided
- 2 whole lemons, tops and bottoms trimmed, cut lengthwise in half, seeds removed
- 1/2 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 4 bread slices, such as country-style, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 1 tablespoon thinly sliced fresh purple or green basil leaves
- 2 medium garlic cloves mashed into a paste
- 4 tablespoons freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Presoak bamboo skewers for 30 minutes or have ready metal skewers. Slide the tomatoes on skewers. Set aside.
- Heat a gas or electric grill to medium heat and generously brush the cooking grate with oil.
- Place the broccoli rabe in a colander and wash well under cold running water. Run a knife down the center of any thick stalks, more than 1/2-inch thick, leaving the stems intact at top.
- Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Brush the lemons with 1/2 tablespoon olive oil and season with salt and pepper to taste. Place the sugar on a small plate and dip each of the lemon halves cut side down, into the sugar.
- Grill the lemons cut side down until golden brown at the edges, about 5 minutes. Using tongs, carefully flip the lemons over and grill for 2 more minutes.
- Remove from the grill and set aside. When cool enough to handle squeeze the lemon juice into a small bowl.
- Generously brush both sides of the bread slices with olive oil and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Grill the bread, flipping once until crisp and golden brown, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate and allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, arrange the broccoli rabe in a single layer across the grill grate. Grill, turning often, for about 4 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Brush the tomatoes with 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil and season with salt and pepper to taste. Arrange the tomato skewers evenly across the grill grate.
- Grill until nicely blistered in spots, about 5 minutes. When cool enough to handle, carefully remove the tomatoes from the skewers into the bowl with the broccoli rabe.
- Cut bread slices into 1/2-inch cubes and add to the bowl with the vegetables. Add the basil, garlic, and 3 tablespoons of lemon juice tossing until well combined.
- Arrange on a decorative platter. Drizzle with additional olive oil and lemon juice, if desired. Top with cheese. Adjust seasonings with salt and pepper to taste. Serve at room temperature.
More from The Vermont Non-GMO Cookbook:
Tracey Medeiros is a food writer, food stylist, and recipe developer and tester. She writes "The Farmhouse Kitchen: A Guide To Eating Local" column for Edible Green Mountains Magazine. Medeiros is also the author of The Vermont Non-GMO Cookbook (Skyhorse Publishing, October 2017) The Connecticut Farm Table Cookbook (The Countryman Press, May 2015) The Vermont Farm Table Cookbook (The Countryman Press, May 2013) and Dishing Up Vermont (Storey Publishing, April 2008) honored as 2010 National Indie Excellence Awards Finalist and 2009 Best Books Award Finalist (USA Book News). The Vermont Non-GMO Cookbook is a 2018 Readable Feast Cookbook Awards Finalist. She travels regionally as a guest cooking instructor sharing her commitment to the sustainable food movement while providing skillful cooking demonstrations.