If you’re looking for a flavorful recipe for green tomatoes at the end of the garden season, may I suggest trying green tomato relish? This was the first thing I canned as a young wife and mother. My minister’s wife taught me how to make it, and I still have the recipe card she wrote for me more than 30 years ago. It requires only a few ingredients, is easy to make, and is delicious served with roasted pork or on hot dogs.
- 25 medium or 35 small green tomatoes
- 3 medium green bell peppers
- 2 medium red bell peppers
- 3 medium onions
- 4 tablespoons pickling salt
- 4 cups sugar
- 3 cups white vinegar
- 3 tablespoons mustard seed
- 3 tablespoons celery seed
1. Chop, process, or grind all vegetables into finely diced pieces, then cover with the pickling salt and stir to coat. Let the mixture stand for 3 hours, then drain well.
2. Boil the sugar, vinegar, and seeds for 5 minutes, then add the vegetables and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes.
3. Pour into hot, sterilized pint jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace, and process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes.
Find more delicious green tomato recipes in Glorious Green Tomato Recipes.