Simply Vibrant (Roost Books, 2018), by Anya Kassoff, shows you how to create delicious recipes using fresh seasonal produce. You can use everyday ingredients by following practical preparations with a modern twist. By following template-style recipes, you can create easy and affordable meals for any part of the day. The following excerpt is from Chapter 8, “Just Veggies.”
These electric pink, pickled turnips are inspired by traditional Lebanese pickles, which are often included in the well-loved falafel sandwich. Ready within a quick week, they are great on salads, tartines and sandwiches, or served as a side at an outdoor grilling party or potluck.
• 1 1/2 cup water
• 2 1/2 tablespoons sea salt
• 1 1/2 lb (680 g) turnips - peeled and sliced into sticks
• 1 small beet - peeled and sliced
• 2 bay leaves
• 1 garlic clove - thinly sliced
• 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
• 1/2 teaspoon black peppercorns
• A few sprigs of fresh dill
• Dash of red pepper flakes
• 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1. In a small saucepan, heat 1/2 cup of water and add in salt to dissolve. Let cool.
2. Place the turnips, beet, bay leaf, garlic, coriander seeds, black peppercorns, dill and pepper flakes into a clean glass jar.
3. Add the vinegar and the remaining 1 cup of water to the salty water, and pour the brine over the vegetables. Cover and let pickle at room temperature for one week. Refrigerate until ready to serve and use within one month.
More from Simply Vibrant:
by Anya Kassoff © 2018 by Anya Kassoff. Photographs © 2018 by Masha Davydova.
Reprinted in arrangement with Roost Books, an imprint of Shambhala Publications, Inc.