Photo by Getty Images/Elenathewise.
These flowers make beautiful adornments for any baked goods you’d like to decorate.
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 cup superfine sugar
- Fresh violet flowers with long stems
1. In a bowl, beat egg whites just until frothy.
2. Place superfine sugar in another bowl.
3. Pick up each violet by the stem and dip the flower into egg whites.
4. Dip wet violet into bowl of sugar. Gently rotate it to coat all petals with sugar.
5. Place dipped flower face-down on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Use a toothpick to gently arrange petals as you like them.
6. Trim stem. Sprinkle sugar anywhere that still needs to be coated.
7. When all flowers have been dipped and arranged, place baking sheet in an oven at 200 degrees Fahrenheit for 30 to 40 minutes. Cool completely.
8. Store candied violets in an air-tight container, separated by layers of wax paper.
Learn more about the history of violet cultivation and the pollinators that love them in Medicinal and Culinary Uses for the Shy Violet.