Poriyal is a dish from the Southern state of Tamilnadu in India. It is a vegetarian dish which consists of vegetables sautéed with lentils, mustard seeds, curry leaves, and freshly grated coconut. We at Rasika have done a variation with broccoli and cashew nuts.
• 1 teaspoon Salt (for blanching)
• 4 cups Broccoli florets, small
• 4 tablespoons Coconut oil
• 1 teaspoon Black Mustard Seeds
• 1 teaspoon Bengal gram, split
• 1 teaspoon Urad dal, washed
• 1 cup Spanish onion, chopped
• 1 teaspoon Ginger, peeled and chopped
• 1 teaspoon Thai green chili, chopped
• 1/4 teaspoon Hing (Asafoetida)
• 1/4 teaspoon Turmeric powder
• 12 Curry leaves, med. size
• 1 teaspoon Salt
• 1 tablespoon Ghee
• 4 teaspoons Cashew nuts, broken
• 4 teaspoons Coconut, freshly grated
1. Boil water in a medium size pot along with the turmeric powder and salt.
2. Add the broccoli and let it cook for 3-4 minutes till the florets are al dente. Refresh the broccoli in ice cold water. Drain the water completely and keep aside.
3. In a large sauté pan, heat the coconut oil over medium heat.
4. When hot, add the mustard seeds and let them crackle. Then add the Bengal gram and the urad dal and sauté for 1 minute till the dal (lentils) turn light brown.
5. Add the chopped onions and cook for 5 minutes till the onions are soft and translucent.
6. Mix in the chopped ginger, green chili, and hing, along with the turmeric powder and curry leaves. Sauté over medium heat for 1 minute. Then mix in the broccoli and add the salt.
7. Heat the ghee in a small sauté pan. Add the cashew nuts and toss them till they are toasted to a light golden brown color.
8. Sprinkle the cashew nuts along with the grated coconut over the broccoli. Serve hot.
Vikram Suderarm is an award-winning chef and culinary artist from Bombay, India. He currently resides in McLean, Virginia, with his wife and two children. When he is not in the kitchen cooking, Vikram can be found playing the drums, immersed in a good book, or enjoying sports such as football, cricket, hockey, table tennis, and basketball.