Steam artichokes in a way that enhances their innate flavor.
In a steamer basket, place 1 bay leaf, 2 garlic cloves quartered, 3 clove buds, and 4 chokes with the top of the flower down and the stem end up. Add water to the bottom pan of steamer until it is just beneath the basket. Steam for 20 – 30 minutes. Chokes are done when knife is poked into the stem and it is soft.
• Two 14-ounce cans artichoke hearts; or 12 fresh artichoke hearts, steamed
• 6 tablespoons olive oil
• 5 cloves garlic
• One 15-ounce can kidney beans
• 1 lemon, juiced
• 1/2 cup chopped parsley
• 1 cup grated Asiago cheese
• 1 teaspoon chili flakes
• Cooked pasta of choice
1. Place the artichoke hearts, olive oil and garlic in blender and blend until smooth. Heat in a saucepan until bubbling.
2. Drain kidney beans. Pour sauce over pasta; sprinkle kidney beans liberally over sauce. Sprinkle lemon juice over all. Top with chopped parsley and Asiago to taste. Sprinkle with chili flakes.
Learn more about The Regal Thistle: Heirloom Artichokes.