Sweet apples, brown sugar, and whatever nuts appeal most to you come together in this simple and delicious dessert.
• 1/2 cup shortening
• 1 cup packed brown sugar
• 1 egg
• 1 cup applesauce
• 2 cups flour
• 1 teaspoon baking soda
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1 teaspoon cinnamon
• 2/3 cup chopped walnuts
• 1 cup peeled and cored, diced apples
1. Cream shortening and brown sugar together. Add egg and applesauce. Beat well.
2. Sift dry ingredients together and add to the previous mixture. Mix well.
3. Add the apple and walnuts and mix again.
4. Drop by heaping teaspoonfuls onto an ungreased cookie sheet.
5. Bake at 375 degrees F for 10-12 minutes until lightly browned. Place cookies on wire rack to cool.
For more about heirloom apples, or for more delicious recipes, see: Apple Varieties for Every Occasion.