The Soup Kitchen
African Peanut Soup Recipe
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 very large or 2 medium Beauregard sweet potatoes (1 pound), cubed (2-1/2 cups)
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon chili flakes
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes in juice
- 3/4 cup creamy natural-style peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup chopped toasted peanuts
- Cilantro leaves for garnish
1. Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onions and sweet potatoes and cook until onions are translucent and sweet potatoes begin to soften, 5 to 6 minutes.
2. Add garlic, ginger, and chili flakes, and cook, stirring, an additional 3 to 4 minutes.
3. Add vegetable stock, tomatoes, peanut butter, and salt; bring to a boil, reduce heat, and cook until sweet potatoes are tender, an additonal 10 minutes.
4. Remove from heat and cool slightly, then puree in batches in the blender.
5. Divide among bowls and garnish with peanuts and cilantro.