'Red Express' cabbage may be served in many ways; pickled is very delicious! My family loves the flavor and texture.
For more about this vegetable as an addition to your garden, see: 'Red Express' Cabbage.
• 1 Red Express cabbage
• 2 tablespoons salt
• 10 cups white vinegar
• 6 tablespoons pickling spice
• Pint or quart canning jars
1. Quarter and slice Red Express cabbage thinly. Place cabbage in a large bowl and toss with salt. Press down cabbage using a large plate to cover. Place heavy object on plate to press down cabbage. Rinse and drain Red Express cabbage. Boil water and sterilize jars for 15 minutes or use method of your choice.
2. Boil vinegar with pickling spice in cheesecloth or spice bag for 6 minutes. Remove spice bag after boiling. Pack Red Express cabbage in jars, leaving 1 inch of headroom. Ladle hot vinegar over cabbage.
3. Place sealed jars in a hot-water bath so they are covered with 1 inch of water. Bring to a boil for 15 minutes for pints or 20 minutes for quarts. Cool to room temperature. Check for proper seal on jars. Lids should be concave and not flexible. Refrigerate any jars that did not seal properly. Let pickled Red Express cabbage ferment for 6 days before eating.