Baked apples are easy and perfect for a chilly autumnal night. They deserve to be more fashionable than they are.Serves: 4
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 30–45 mins
Dairy Free, Vegan, Vegetarian (Wheat Free Gluten Free if gluten-free bread is used and mincemeat is checked)
- 4 medium apples, such as Pippin or Braeburn
- 1 slice of stale bread, white or gluten-free
- 1/2 cup homemade or other good-quality vegan mincemeat
- a pinch of sea salt
- custard or heavy cream, to serve (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Dig out the cores of the apples without going all the way through to the bottom, then place them on individual squares of aluminum foil, big enough to wrap the apples, on the lined baking sheet.
- Tear the bread into pea-size pieces and mix with the mincemeat and salt. Pack the bread mixture into the apples. Bring the foil up and wrap it loosely around them, then bake in the oven for 30–45 minutes, until tender.
- Serve with custard or heavy cream, if you want.
- Instead of mincemeat, the following work well as toppings:
- Raspberries, brown sugar, and bread crumbs, served with vanilla ice cream.
- Dried apricots, golden raisins, and dried sour cherries, plumped in red wine and sugar, drizzled with butter, and served with heavy cream.
More from Leon Happy Baking:
Excerpted from Leon Happy Baking, by Claire Ptak and Henry Dimbleby. Published by Conran Octopus Limited © 2019 by Leon Restaurants Ltd 2011, 2019. All rights reserved.