Three Sisters Salad Recipe (with hulled white corn)
Three Sisters Salad, made with hulled white corn, is delightful mix of squash, corn, beans, and spices, and a perfect veggie side dish. A delicious recipe with a rich origin in Iroquois history.
• 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
• 1/2 cup olive oil
• 1 Red pepper, chopped
• 1 Green pepper, chopped
• 2 Onions, minced
• 4 Tomatoes, chopped
• 10-12 oz. Black beans, soaked in water overnight (or use canned)
• 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, minced
• 1 pound summer squash or zucchini, cubed
• 2 Cloves garlic, minced
• Salt and pepper to taste
1. Cook the beans, corn, and squash separately until tender but firm.
2. In a large bowl, mix the remaining vegetables together while the corn, beans, and squash are still warm. In a separate bowl, mix vinegar, oil, cilantro, garlic, salt, and pepper.
3. Pour marinade over vegetable mixture and gently toss. Let the salad marinate at least two hours before serving, overnight works best.
Amy Blum has been a public relations and marketing professional for more than two decades. A resident of the Rochester, NY area, she has clients in numerous sectors. Amy has worked with Friends of Ganondagan since 2010, and is an enthusiastic consumer of its Iroquois White Corn.