• 1/3 cup toasted pine nuts
• 2 garlic cloves
• 2 cups packed basil leaves, washed and dried
• 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
• 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
• 1/2 teaspoon white vinegar or lemon juice (optional)
1. Combine the nuts and garlic in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until crumbly.
2. Add the basil, oil, salt, pepper, and cheese. Process until smooth, scraping down the bowl once or twice.
3. Stir in the vinegar or lemon juice which will brighten the flavor and maintain the bright green color of the pesto in storage.
4. Use within a week, or freeze in 1/2 pint plastic freezer canning jars (the Ball jars with the purple lids are perfect).