Jazz up your cheese and cracker plate with this lovely spiced pear compote. Serve it alongside good-quality goat cheese and some crackers, or simply top your morning yogurt with a few spoonfuls’ worth.
• 1/2 cup dry white wine
• 1/2 vanilla bean, split
• 1 star anise
• 1 cinnamon stick
• 1 whole clove
• Pinch of salt and pepper
• 3 tablespoons honey
• 2 large pears, cored and chopped
1. In a medium-sized saucepan, bring the wine, vanilla bean, spices, salt, pepper, and honey to a simmer.
2. Cook until reduced by half, about 4 minutes. Add the chopped pears and ¼ cup water.
3. Increase the heat and simmer until syrupy, about 6 to 8 minutes.
4. Remove from heat, let cool, and store in a glass jar in the refrigerator for up to 7 days.
Follow these links to see more ideas for cooking with pears and parsnips: