Save the seeds from your homegrown poppy plants to use in recipes.
Learn more about growing and using poppy plants in Types of Poppies for a Showy Spring.
• 2 cups all-purpose flour
• 2 tsp baking powder
• 1⁄2 tsp baking soda
• 1 tsp salt
• 2 eggs
• 1 cup sugar
• 2 to 3 tsp grated lemon zest
• Juice of 1 lemon
• 1⁄4 cup milk
• 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
• 3 tbsp poppy seeds
• Powdered sugar, optional
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease muffin pan and set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
3. In a large bowl, lightly whisk eggs, then add sugar, lemon zest and juice, milk, and butter. Stir until well-combined. Add flour mixture, and then stir in poppy seeds.
4. Spoon batter evenly into a greased muffin pan. Bake 18 to 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
5. Let muffins cool completely, then dust with powdered sugar, if desired.