Irish Colcannon Recipe
• 3 pounds Russet potatoes
• 1 pound of kale, any variety
• 3/4 cup milk or cream
• 1/4 cup butter
• 1/4 cup green onion, chopped (optional)
• Salt and pepper
1. Wash and peel potatoes. In a saucepan, cover with water and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and cook 30 to 40 minutes until tender.
2. Prepare the kale by washing and removing the leaves from the ribs. Chop coarsely.
3. While the potatoes are cooking, bring the kale to a boil in a pot of salted water.
5. Cook for 5 to 6 minutes until the kale turns bright green.
6. Plunge into a bowl of ice water and squeeze excess moisture.
7. Chop coarsely.
8. Remove the potatoes from the heat, add half the butter and mash, gradually adding milk until it reaches a creamy consistency.
9. Stir in the chopped kale and green onion.
10. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve in a mound, with the remaining butter melted in a well in the middle.