Eggplant is a versatile fruit that can be put in everything from cakes to lasagna. Here it is breaded and acts as a pasta topping.
1 very large eggplant (cut into twelve half-inch slices)
• 1 cup veganaise mayonnaise
• 1 Tablespoon red curry paste
• 6 cups panko (bread crumbs)
• 1/2 cup nutritional yeast flakes
• 2 teaspoons onion powder
• 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
• sea salt to taste
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 10x15-inch sheet pan with non-stick spray.
2. Mix mayonnaise and curry paste. Set aside. Combine breading ingredients.
3. Place eggplant slice in batter and turn to coat both sides. Remove slice with a fork and set in breading mix, scoop crumbs over and around eggplant to cover completely and press lightly to coat sides and edges well. There should be no eggplant visible.
4. Remove eggplant and place on baking sheet, repeat process with remaining slices.
5. Bake eggplant cutlets for 25 minutes and remove from oven. Using a flat spatula, carefully flip slices, then return to the oven and bake 20 minutes longer. Serve immediately with heirloom tomato sauce along with hot, buttered angel hair pasta.