The Soup Kitchen
Curried Kale Soup Recipe
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive or coconut oil, or combination
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 large bunch of kale, ribs removed, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 can coconut milk
- Freshly ground pepper
- Juice of 1 lime
- Dry-roasted unsalted peanuts or cashews
- Fresh basil or cilantro, optional
1. Heat olive oil in a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium heat.
2. Add onions and kale and saute for about 5 minutes.
3. Add garlic and ginger, saute another minute.4. Add vegetable stock, curry powder, red pepper flakes, and salt. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
5. Whisk in coconut milk and heat another 3 to 5 minutes.
6. Using an immersion blender, puree the soup to desired texture.
7. Remove from heat and stir in the lime juice and season with pepper.
8. Ladle into bowls and top with a tablespoon of chopped nuts, and chopped basil or cilantro if desired.